Skin tags are very common soft harmless lesions that appear to hang off the skin. They are also described as:
- Fibroepithelial polyps
- Soft fibromas
- Pedunculated (this means they are on a stalk)
- Filiform (this means they are thread-like)
Skin tags develop in both men and women as they grow older. They are skin colored or darker and range in size from 1mm to 5cm. They are most often found in the skin folds (neck, armpits, and groin). They tend to be more numerous in obese persons and in those with type 2 diabetes mellitus.
WHAT CAUSES SKIN TAGS?
It is not known what causes skin tags. However, the following factors may play a role:
- Chaffing and irritation from skin rubbing together
- High levels of growth factors, particularly during pregnancy or in acromegaly (gigantism)
- Insulin resistance (syndrome X)
- Human papilloma virus (wart virus)
*Skin tag removal is considered a cosmetic removal and is not covered by insurance. Contact our Dunedin and Brandon, Florida dermatology offices today.
Schedule an appointment with us to see which treatment is best for you.